December 13, 2009

Jen the newly married one

My friend Jen got married this weekend. I am so joyful that she is in love and married. She and he are so incredibly happy.

Now the hard part. I've been gone from Iowa for nearly 10 years. We don't see each other day to day anymore and as such, aren't close anymore. She has another friend Jen who is so incredibly dear to her and such a wonderful friend and person. (She is an opposite to me, tall, statuesque, blonde.) Seeing them share the closeness that we did so long ago was kind of like seeing an old flame with his new life. You are incredibly happy for them, but feel kind of...weird. Lost a litte? Not jealous, but bitter sweet because she's where you used to be.

I guess Roland said it best, "The World has moved on." And that's a good thing. We all need good friends when others shift off and things change.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

"you can never go home again." i repeat that every time i head to my hometown. i've been gone for six years, and everything has changed.

i totally understand.